Mental Illness in the Family
Nothing to Hide is a museum-quality photo-text traveling exhibit featuring photographs and interviews with families whose lives are affected by mental illness – schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, major depression, anxiety disorders, etc. The compelling accounts demonstrate strength, courage, integrity and accomplishment in the face of the adversity and stigma of mental illness. By bringing visibility to these individuals and their families, Nothing to Hide helps dispel harmful stereotypes, myths, and misconceptions about mental illness.
We were so pleased with the reception that Nothing to Hide got for the two weeks it was on display in our Student Center. Numerous comments from students, faculty, and staff made mention of their gratitude for having the display available, as well as their own experiences–either personally or with family and friends–with mental illness. We’re constantly looking for ways to educate our campus community about the presence of mental health concerns and the support services that are available, and Nothing to Hide served to do both of those things.
Eric Everson, Outreach Coordinator,
Utah State University Counseling and Psychological Services
Edwin Cassem M.D., Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and an Advisory Board member for this project, says it best: “Stigma is worldwide and stifling. Nothing to Hide aims to eradicate prejudice and discrimination based on mental disability. It is a project whose hour has come.” Funded in part by NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness), Nothing to Hide has received rave reviews and media attention wherever it has traveled. The book, Nothing to Hide won a prestigious Ken Johnson NAMI-NYC Metro Book Award book award from NAMI-NYC Metro.
- How Kids Can Talk to Parents About Depression
- Treating and Living with Anxiety
- Addiction and Depression: Treating Co-Occurring Disorders
- A Navigation Guide to Self-Discovery During Your Addiction Recovery Journey
- Recognizing and Treating Depression During Pregnancy
- Marriage and Mental Health: How to Cope When Your Spouse Has Been Diagnosed with Schizophrenia
- 7 Tips for Creating a Healthy and Positive Work Environment
- A Healthy Home is a Happy Home: How to Optimize Your Home for Healthy, Stress-free Living